Mobile Digital Signage?

This is where Mike Strand, President of StrandVision Digital Signage takes a few minutes to share his thoughts on business, marketing, employee communications and the digital signage industry.
mjstrand
Site Admin

Mobile Digital Signage?

Post by mjstrand »

I recently attended a training seminar on several web development techniques, and one of them was mobile device programming. I've seen lots of commercials for the many apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch and never really thought about how we could use these devices. I had it confirmed that the BlackBerry is another popular model and learned that the Motorola Android (Droid) is the next big thing. It seems like Apple may have to adjust their stringent app submission policies if the droid becomes mainstream. Right now, it takes several iterations (2 to 3 weeks each) to successfully submit an iPhone app. Worse still, if Apple updates their OS, the submission must be done again.

All this got me wondering about how our Internet based digital signage software could be useful on a mobile device. Obviously having the ability to update content using a web browser and activate emergencies would be beneficial. Adminstrators could also view the status of their screens. Using the phone's camera to update a random photos page would be great (with the right approval process). Would anyone be interested in seeing signage that would normally go onto a screen in a lobby - I'm not sure of that? How about interacting with the signage using the phone? Perhaps they can provide live comments that are updated automatically? If you have any comments, thoughts or suggestions, I would love to read your posts here. Thanks much for your insights.
Mike is president of StrandVision Digital Signage and also does business marketing consulting through MikeStrand.com.